Monday 9 April 2012

Nicknames

Although my days are pretty much the same:
Home (Computer,bed, eating, pee/pooing, occasionally house chores) -School-Store-Home...
I must be getting old.



The realization hit me when I was looking at postsecret website (http://www.postsecret.com/) and then read that 1000 awesome things blog is ending after 4 years.

I was just looking through the posts and what got my attention was: #13 The first time a new friend calls you by your nickname (http://1000awesomethings.com/2012/04/03/13-the-first-time-a-new-friend-calls-you-by-your-nickname/#comments)

Then I started think about any nicknames I have had/or given and decided to write a post because it is a nostalgic to think about these things. (Even though one is swamped with works....)







***



I tend to have a passing relationship with people (short term, temporary ladida) so I tend not to think too much about these things, because it makes me feel little sentimental.


The first nickname I had was when my neighbourhood kid N called me "Mare".
Noone else in my highschool called me. My name was sufficiently short (2 syllables) so no shortening required. But she did (!!)


My name in French means husband and my nickname.... a horse.


***


University! I met this older girl who always complimented me...I don't know why I guess it was her way of being friendly. Although I wanted to do many social things with her, it never came to that and she is now married now, according to the grapevine. (Tells how close I was with her).

Instead of my name, she would calle me "Toki". She told me I looked like a rabbit (...)


I didn't dislike the name but...she was the only person who called me that.





***


University again, I became quite close with this one girl who lived on the 4th floor of my residence. She had droopy eyes (?) and somehow, I started calling her "Ducky"


That's the end to that. Because I think I was the only one called her that. She was going out with one of the guy I knew and I never knew about this fact. I heard from a friend of a friend that she is now teaching English abroad.




***




Lot of my friends remind me of...gerbil (squirrel or hamster) or rabbit.
When I was talking in group with people, although I could match their faces with animal's no other could match my face with an animal. I guess I look too much like a human.

And then all the sudden, this one girl called me I looke like a "Beluga whale" because I was happy and white (...)


That was the one time and the only time I was called the beluga


** I told the other girl constantly that she looked like a "squirrel", but it wasn't a permanent nick name. I never called out to her saying squirrel.



***


I have a nickname for my little sister and it is vulgar in one sense.... thus I will not be sharing.
But that has to be the longest running nickname call-out by me. :D






That's it. Glad to get it out of my syste. Back to my research paper about Lacan and Freud!


No comments:

Post a Comment