Monday 13 May 2013

May 9, 2013 - Lessons with Dr. J

These days either I'm forgetful or there has not been any new significant 'lessons' for me to post in this blog.
Perhaps, it could be that I have been preoccupied.






*






Dr.J makes a very careful approach in treating his patients.
He is polite but says things that are appropriate in bull's eye manner. I would think it would take me forever to say things in that kind of manner or comes up with the vocabulary that can adequately leaves both the patient and myself perfectly content in communicating the patient's problem. Not exaggerating, but also not undermining - making my observation know if the patient shows discontent know when to move on or 'release the patient'.


The tone, the hand gesture, body language and words he choose seems to be all carefully planned.
I wonder how long and how many times you have to say it that way consciously in order to make it completely yours, which is more automatic, second-nature in a sense. Having the 'right' manner seems to be so difficult.




I have been told I think too much and over-analyze. I do, especially when it concerns what I say or do to people around me. I try to analyze how this person might have perceived me, did I creep that person out? I wonder what our next encounter will be alike? I hope this person doesn't talk about me... along that line almost obsessively. It goes both ways actually. Certain vocabs, words or things that a person says I take it as a hint.




Anyway, back to the lesson. On Thursday -  my late night, we had  one patient over who used own grocery store in a small town. The grocery store has been in family for 3 generations and he has sold it because such good offer came through. However, due to the effect of giant corporation, a la costco, a la walmart, a la target and etc, the new owners also had 2 other grocery stores but had to close those stores and was struggling with the store this patient sold to them.
Dr.J was more lively when he was talking to the patient during the surgery.
I was thinking that they must have lot of common because Dr.J and patient seemed to find each other pretty engaging when it came to certain topic.




However at the end of the day, Dr.J told me the reason why he kept the conversation going. The patient was on anxiety pill and that the local-anesthetic was not only the mixture of xylocaine and marcaine (6:4) but also the conversation.






I kept thinking I wonder how much Dr.J knows about me, how much he has analyzed me and etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment