Thursday 26 September 2013

End of the intro-block is near update September 26th

Right now my room is a mess, so is my kitchen, my inbox, study notes, but most importantly my brain.

I have once told my parents that sometimes my room reflect how my brain is, but I'm not sure if having messiness around me, reflecting my inner state, is helping or not. probably not...ok I will clean.


Anyhow, leaving behind my failure... H** application, G********, C***,
I have received my white coat, soccer jersey and C** member number. Yay!




*



I think writing and organizing my thought helps me to set priorities.




*



One thing about history taking is that doctors need to remember that patients are human.
As well as hard science and medicine, shifting focus to the social and emotion of it would help reveal the diagnosis. At least to narrow down to which diagnosis from the differential.


What I meant to say is that social history is important
open-minded question is important
attention on flags!



*



History taking...it goes something like this.


-ID: Patient Id
-CC: current condition
-HPI: history of presenting illness
-Past medical/surgical history
-family history
-allergies


--Physical findings


However, asking if patient is a smoker or drinker is also important.
And social history such as their occupation and their relationship is also important. Recent travel history is important and then Paraphrasing!



For me, I switch into screener mode as soon as I have to show my history taking skills to someone else. I don't have any elaborate mechanism but I remember the sheet in the chart and use that as a schema.



One interesting thing learned: Common Depression Screening.




Other cool concepts

Cushing's triage
-Bradycardia
-low respiratory rate
-HTN




No comments:

Post a Comment